Synthtopia is a portal devoted to electronic music.
There are lots of electronica sites, but they all seem to cover one tiny aspect of electronica: trance, classical electronic music, dance, or synthesizers. Synthtopia covers it all.
Synthtopia covers all types of electronic music, serious, popular, even seriously popular. There’s a lot of great electronic music coming from all types of composers and musicians. You’ll find that we include hardcore electronica along with pop electronica, and dark ambient music along with chillout. By mixing it up, we hope that most electronic music fans will find something they like, and also find out about some music that they may not know anything about.
Here’s what you can expect at Synthtopia:
Electronica News – New releases, performances, new sites and music controversies are regularly covered.
- Electronica news is available as a RSS news feed. This means that you can view headlines from Synthtopia in a news reader, like Google News.
- Classic Electronic Music – Old school electronica isn’t from the 80’s! Electronica goes back 100 years, and there is some great stuff from people like Raymond Scott, Otto Luening, Vladimir Ussachevsky and Morton Subotnick. There’s also interesting stuff from classical interpreters, like Wendy Carlos and Isao Tomita.
- Electronica Innovators – Today’s electronica wouldn’t be around without the work of synth pioneers, like Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Tonto’s Expanding Head Band, Michael Stearns, Brian Eno, and Vangelis.
- Electronica genres – Techno, Trance, Dance, Symphonic Electronica, Ambient and more.
- Synthtopia welcomes submissions of electronic and dance music for review.
Instrument Reviews – There are so many classic synthesizers, and so many new instruments coming out, that it would be almost impossible to be comprehensive. Instead, we’ll cover the classic instruments and why they’re important, how they influenced the music, and cover some of the best new instruments that come out. If you’re interested in sending equipment for review, please contact us.
- Our electronic music articles cover controversies in the electronica world, tutorials on using electronic music hardware and software, and the latest tools and trends of online music.
- Here, we’ll take an in-depth look at some of the most influential electronica artists.
- Synthtopia’s free music download posts are your guide to music that can legitimately be downloaded and shared.