This video, via Power DX7, is a detailed comparison between the Yamaha DX7 and a variety of DX7 emulation apps, VSTs and hardware.
The video features a side-by-side comparison of six DX7 alternatives:
- FM Player – This is not a FM synth, but a DX7 sample player.
- KQ Dixie – This is an iOS app that is design to emulate the DX7 MK1 faithfully, with additional features, like a filter and effect.
- Dexed – This is a free DX7 emulation VST for your Mac and Windows.
- Native Instrument FM8 – This is a powerful FM synth VST that can import DX7 patches. It is far more feature rich than Dexed and its a unique FM synth in on its own. For this test drive, the focus is on its DX7 patch compatibility.
- Arturia DX7 – V: This is a new VST that claims to have faithfully emulated the DX7 MK1, with added features.
- Korg Volca FM – A hardware FM synth that is DX7 compatible. It has built-in sequencer and an effect as well.
Check it out, and share your thoughts in the comments!